Work as a team to create opportunities to split the defenders with a pass. This will need good off the ball movement, anticipation, creativity and passing.
Box Breakout - Progression & Penetration Drill
Set up a Football pitch with 2 goals at either end
In the middle of the pitch, makr out a smaller box, big enough for your 2 teams to be able to pass the ball around in, but small enough that the task is challenging
Split into 2x teams - it's recommended that you play around 3 to 5 a-side.
Everyone starts in the middle box and possession starts with one of the teams
The aim of the game is to complete a set number of consecutive passes (eg. 3) in order to be able to then go and try to score a goal breaking out of the box.
when the passes have been made by one of the teams, both teams are allowed to break out of the box. The attacking team (who made the 3 passes) try to score, the defending team (who didn't make the passes) try to stop them scoring.
When play breaks down with a goal, or a clearance, return to the middle square and start play from the team that didn't make the passes before.
- Scan the pitch as often as possible
- Move the ball quickly
Beat the Keeper - Passing Drill
4 v 1 Box Passing
4 players on the outside of the outer square are possession players
1 player inside the mini box in the middle
2 defenders outside the mini mox but inside the outer box
- Mark out a football pitch (or pitches) with a relevant size for the number of players per team
- Pick your teams
- Give teams bibs or a kit etc
- Explain the basic rules that they will need to follow
- Complete a set of round robin fixtures or similar
- Aim of the game is to work together to get the ball into the opponents goal while keeping it away from your own.
- Teach children how to restart the game when the ball goes out of play (goal kicks, throw ins, corners etc)