April 24, 2023
+ Session Notes +
1 v 1's with Interference
Dribbling, Defending, Attacking
A great way to play 1 v 1's with a bit of extra interference. Avoids having children standing waiting too.
- Set up a pitch with goals at either end. You don't want the pitch to be too big as the players will become tired quickly and it may favour speed rather than skill.
- Select two teams of no more than 5 players per team. Add more pitches if you have a larger group than 10.
- Pair up every player against an opponent on the opposite team.
- Give a ball to each pair and they play a 1 v 1 match. All of your pairs should play at the same time, so you have up to 5 pairs playing on the same pitch at the same time.
- If the ball goes out of play, rather than throw ins or goals kicks/corners, allow the player to dribble the ball back into play.
- Play until a player scores a goal (or a certain amount of goals)
- Play for a set amount of time (60 seconds) and keep score
- When the games are finished, swap around partners so that they have another opponent.
As they swap partners, encourage children to try and figure out their opponents strengths and weaknesses. Discuss ways of containing opponents strengths and exposing their weaknesses.
All players are on the pitch at the same time as this creates a little interference. The other pairs will occasionally be in the way, you have to stay focused on your pairs ball at all times too. It also helps during a cold/wet session to avoid children standing around getting cold
Mark Your Player - Matchplay
Dribbling, Defending, Matchplay
This drill is aimed at younger players to ensure that they understand how important they are when they don't have the ball.
Mark out a pitch and pick 2 equal teams
Players should be matched up against an opponent of a similar ability to them.
You are only allowed to tackle the player that you are paired up against. You cannot tackle anyone else.
This means players have to take responsibility for their own player when out of posession. You also encourage players to use dribbling more as you can't be tackled by multiple opponents